Since 2003 we make use of logging residues related to fellings. This contributes to decreasing the eutrophication related to regeneration fellings as well as provides fuel for the production of district heating. In our daily forestry we strive towards keeping a high eco profile, and because of this we are certified with both PEFC and FSC.
Ålands Skogsindustrier Ab is also certified in terms of traceability of forest products according to the PEFC ST 2002:2013 certificate. The company management has bound itself to secure the origin of the timber and to take appropriate action to guarantee that the products do not contain raw material from controversial sources. The company management has also bound itself to fulfill social-, health- and work safety demands.
Through our commitment to the expansion of wind power and bioenergyproduction, Ålands Skogsindustrier Ab. has contributed to creating a good eco profile for the province of Åland. By building the wind turbine Fredrika in 1997.
Due to our investment in production of district heating in Godby in 2000, the oil consumption in the Godby area is decreased by 1.200 tons/year. The heat from the bioenergy plant is also used for drying the sawn products. We also supply biofuel for the bioboilers in Mariehamn and in the Stockholm area.
The company objective is to avoid sourcing:
- illegal logging or trade in illegal wood or forest products
- violation of traditional and human rights in forestry operations
- destruction of high conservation values in forestry operations
- significant conversion of forests to plantations or non-forest use
- introduction of genetically modified organisms in forestry operations
- violation of any of the ILO Core Conventions as defined in the ILO Declaration of Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work